Wednesday, March 23, 2011

reverse image stamping

I thought that since I had a few people ask how I reversed the monster image on this card, I would do a little "tutorial" and compare two different methods of mirroring your images.

First of all I have a block that was my Mom's that was made specifically for this. It is just like a woodblock stamp but with a flat piece of rubber on the stamping side. The one I have is called "the artful stamper's reversing block". I believe The Artful Stamper was/is a company out of London, ON.

Ink up your stamp and stamp it onto the rubber side of the reversing block.

You then use the reversing block to stamp onto your paper.
I also heard somewhere that you could do this with EZ Mount cling foam. So I decided to try it out and compare the two.

I cut out a piece of EZ Mount and stuck it to one of my acrylic blocks, with the cling side as my stamping surface.

I made a little chart comparing the images produced by both methods. Double click on the image to see a larger version.
The reason I added the second generation stamped image was because the reversed image will not be as crisp as the original. So if you second generation stamp the original image, the result will be closer to the reversed image.

Looking at my little comparison, the cling mount stamped image is a bit lighter than the image reversed with the stamping block. The cling mount one absorbed a little bit of the ink, but i found the image less smudged. When I stamp onto the block it's really easy to slide around. So I would say if you have a really steady hand it shouldn't be a problem.
I hope that all made sense.
Thanks for stopping by. Have a great day! :)

8 comments:

  1. Cool! Thanks for the tutorial. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great 'how to' and comparison - really useful, thanks Kasia! Hugs, Ruth S

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, I totally remember those reversing blocks...but I'm happier to know that EZ mount works, since I have that already. ;)
    Thanks for the tutorial and tips!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have been busy:) and it's always fun to visit your blog: there is always something gorgeous to look at. :)
    The first one is my favorite; CAS and a perfect example that less is definitely more. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tutorial! I wondered how you did that reverse image - now I know! TFS! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for sharing this! (Yes, I am finally getting caught up on blog commenting! I have missed so much the last few weeks! LOL!) I wondered how you did it and am glad to see it in pictures!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! It really makes my day. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...